Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Whats in a name

As you guys already know... My name is Vinod... and my father's name
is Krishnadas. While most Mallus would be satisfied with this level of
information, the non mallus are already wondering what my surname is!
Well, I don't have a surname... I could add Nair or Menon at the end
of my name, but that's not really a surname. Ideally, if my mallu
roots could dictate my name, I would be just Vinod (maybe Vinoth!! I
actually had one mallu writing me an email calling me Vinoth!),
followed by my house name. But given that this type of naming (w.r.t
appending the house name) is no longer relevant (I mean Vinod
Block101D is hardly an ideal name) it leaves me with one field
(Surname) to fill in and a number of options to choose from... that's
always a fun scenario!

So, in my 10th standard form, I put in Krishnadas as my surname and
left my middle name blank. The supervisor called me out
Supervisor: "Why is this blank?"
Me: "I don't have a middle name"
"What's your father's name"
"Krishnadas"
"Oh, then it should be here... (pointing to the middle name field) not
there.. What is your surname then"
"Krishnadas"
"So, your father's name is Krishnadas Krishnadas??"
"No, its K Krishnadas"
"Whats K"
"Nothing, just K"
"Who the hell goes around with just 'K' for a name????"
"Its not his name.. its not like people would yell out to him 'hey K,
come here'"
"What is it then?"
"Its his house name"
"So whats his full name?"
"K Krishnadas"
By now the supervisor was sure I was trying to make her look like a
jackass.. so, angrily
"Put in whatever you want... just don't leave it blank!"
Happy about the little battle I had won, I put down my fathers name as
K. Cool name I thought. Just K.. Somehow it seems out of a 007 movie.
Agent K.

Now it's all well and good, me choosing my surname and what father's
name should be on the record. Trouble is, my sister chose differently!
So, as per records, our surnames and father's names don't exactly
match!

As if all this complication caused by lack of a surname wasn't enough,
we Nairs follow the matrilocal
system<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_matrilineal_or_matrilocal_societies>,
which means ideally, I should take my mother's house name after my own
name! Most Nairs abandoned this long back, coz when you are out of
Kerala, and provide different surnames for yourself and your father,
the clerk at the desk will put down his pen, think deeply for a
moment, shake his head ever so slightly and then look at you with
pity!

Coming back to adding house names into our names, its a wierd way to
merge your name and part of your postal address, and only a mallu
could have thought of it. Some other southie communities went
overboard with it and added village and district names as well,
landing up with names such as VVS Laxman. And I don't even want to
start about Sri Lankans!

We mallus are slowly discarding the house names but the mallu
fascination for house names never ceases. You know how you go to a
party and meet some one new.. You are like
"Hi I am Vinod"
"Hi! I'm Rajesh"
"Where do you work?"
"Oh I work at blah blah..."
and everything is happy.. hehehahahuhu
In a mallu scene, the first question you get after you announce your
name, is "Where is the house" and I'm like "Kalina" coz I am always
the smart wisecrack...and you should see the disappointment on them...
the fact that it wasn't immediately apparent to me that they were
asking for my house name (in Kerala) is so heartbreaking for them! The
next set of questions are mainly related to career and why you aren't
an MBA already... you get the drift.

All the confusion created notwithstanding, I love my name.. Krishnadas
sounds good as a surname and feels right. Its not the most common
surname you'd come across (unlike Nair or Menon) and plus it allowed
me to make that supervisor look like a jackass! (Evil laugh) :)

3 comments:

  1. nice one brother!! ive felt the same!!
    the name is sreeram santosh (IYER) but then i dont use the iyer!! and has caused a hell of confusion!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bhai, missing your posts! please come back!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there joshme information or the article which u had posted was simply superb and to say one thing that this was one of the best information which I had seen so far, thanks for the information #BGLAMHAIRSTUDIO
    https://bit.ly/3eDjmZV

    ReplyDelete